Thursday, August 20, 2009

Life is a Root Canal

Well, another day without a job. I have to admit I'm not really looking that hard. One does get a bit complacent as long as their money hasn't run out. After today, however, I'm really going to need to set some goals. I had to get a root canal today and with no insurance that is costing me over $1200!! Then, I also needed to get my redwood deck demolished due to rotting and termites and that cost me $500!! So that means I'm going to need to get my deck replaced and I'm not even going to depress myself by putting the estimate for that in print. Luckily, though, I was able to obtain financing with 0% interest for a year. Now I'll definitely need to find real employment before the year is out - is that complacent or what ?!!

It just seems that whenever I am out of a job for a long period of time (or even a short time, for that matter) everything seems to go wrong. In 2000, when I was laid off for the first time in my life, I was diagnosed with a melanoma after my insurance ran out. Was that good timing or what? But if there's one thing I've learned since being unemployed is whenever you go to a doctor without insurance don't be afraid to let them know that you don't have insurance and more times than not they will offer a discount. That's happened to me twice and saved me about 50%. However, they usually require that you pay it off in one payment. I have found, though, that it doesn't usually work with dentists or endodontists. Luckily, my dentists have always let me pay it off with no interest but with endodontists - forget it! Pay me NOW or keep your rotten roots and forever stay in pain.

Anyway, that's my "unemployed venting for the day". Time to take that vicodin now that the novocaine is wearing off. I'll definitely scrounge up the money for that!


2 comments:

  1. A blog on being laid off?
    How about a blog on dental surgery?
    Oh, I see you've covered that, too, you little ray of sunshine.
    So this is a tough blog to participate in.
    I hate being laid off almost as much as ending sentences with a preposition.
    The worst things about being laid off are being told all you have to do is cut back, like eating Top Ramen noodles and buying less shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victor: Hmm, even I didn't catch the symbolism when I wrote this. Wow, I'm a better writer than I thought. However, I think the root canal was actually less painful. Thanks for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete