Saturday, August 29, 2009

If you can't work -Volunteer

I actually submitted my resume for a job yesterday. I'm over qualified for it and the pay is low and it was only part-time BUT I thought it was a place to start. My rationale was that my chances might be better hearing back on this one being that I have more than enough experience. Hmm, is it better to be over or under qualified? I guess I'll find out. It seems with the economy the way it is that all I can find are part-time positions posted. So perhaps my options at this time are 2 part-time jobs. At least it's more than unemployment and if I get laid off again it will prolong my benefits - which is a good thing. Thank God for Unemployment and the government subsidy to extend it. Though I'd rather have a job and make REAL money so I can pay for that landscaping and the endodontist's bill !!!

It is true what "they" say: "When you're unemployed - volunteer". Each time I've been unemployed I volunteered at various places. For over a year, I kept my voice in practice for my voice over career by recording for the blind and I loved it. It was a great way to get my voice on tape for agents to hear - if any agent wanted to hear it" (and I emphasize any). This time around I decided to volunteer at the Humane Society and I'm so glad I did. When you're down and out with no money, what makes you feel better than to go and play with a cat or dog, brush it, talk to it, spend time and compare the state of your lives. It makes me forget my own problems for a few hours. Volunteering is a great opportunity to get experience that you wouldn't normally get the chance to learn. It is also a great networking device if you choose. You just never know.

Anyway, if I don't clean this house it's going walk away on its own. That's the trouble with blogging, it's just another (good) excuse not to do your chores. After all, it is more enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. Volunteering is a good way to spend time "between jobs" (if you can afford to do it) and it doesn't look too bad on a resume.

    But, could it hurt potential employees in the long run? When volunteers fill a void, especially in these times, do employers delay hiring employees?

    ReplyDelete