Friday, September 4, 2009

The Rabid Veterinarian, Chapter 1

It seems as if I've gotten off track with my blog. My original plan was to share either humorous or horror stories (or humorous horror stories in some cases) about our previous jobs, bosses, supervisors and coworkers. So today I will begin with the rabid veterinarian I worked for a few years back.
I was so elated when I was hired as an Office Manager for a local veterinarian. I had always wanted to work around cats and dogs so thought this would be a fantastic gig. Even though I had my doubts when I initially arrived for the "group" interview where we were required to take a lengthy personality test: I was desperate for a real job so I stayed and mustered through all 50 or so pages. The doctor seemed to have a great sense of humor and the office had a good feel to it. Well, that fantasy was short lived.
Since it was a very small, one-man practice, we shared a tiny office (about 10'x10'), which also doubled as the caretakers living quarters at night, an old computer and a phone. Oh, and did I forget to mention that his boxer and pit bull also shared this space. Since the boxer wasn't well trained, he was kept on a leash tethered to a futon. Needless to say, I tripped on that leash almost daily and the Dr. put the blame on me for not being careful enough. (Didn't he ever hear of OSHA?) So you might say, well, you were the Office Manager, why didn't you complain to OSHA or Workman's Comp; I wanted to keep my job.
Eventually, it became like a bad marriage. He became verbally abusive and when I would defend myself it would get even worse.

1 comment:

  1. You were working in the CARETAKER'S living quarters? What a cheapskate! It was bad enough to have to work around a bunch of strange animals coming in and out AND 2 more under foot. Who can work like that when there's also a "boss" constantly breathing down your neck?

    You should have tripped over the dog's leash and sued his ass! Every bad marriage should end in payment for the one who suffered the most.

    ReplyDelete